Introduction, Q+A

Please call me Kiki. Think of me as your weird wine friend from Kyrgyzstan. I'm not from Kyrgyzstan, in the typical sense, but I have been living here for over a year now. It's enough for me to feel like I'm "from here" -- whatever that means.

After barely surviving a year alone in Kyrgyzstan, I've decided to re-establish various passions of mine, which were lost for whatever reason. Wine was definitely one, as well as some others which may be mentioned here in other posts. But for now, I would like to keep the focus on wine as a lifestyle. I do not in any way intend on making this a commentary of wine tastings and ideology. But rather, as a diary of my wine life in a weird place.

This weird place for me is not only physical, but mental. Because a lot of shit has been happening in the past year and I don't even know who I am anymore, sometimes. But wine has made me rediscover myself and fall back in love with who I used to be. And I think that's a pretty spectacular thing worth sharing. Hence the blog.

Sensus Sarap Evi + Peynir Butigi, Istanbul

Here are some basic Q+As to get started.

Do you work with wine?
No. However, I am planning to start a career in wine later this year, once I get out of Kyrgyzstan and back into wine-loving society. I'm studying through the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) and would like to get certified ASAP. In the meantime I self-study with lots of books and tastings.

Why Kyrgyzstan?
Okay, this one is a long story. But the short version is, I did not choose Kyrgyzstan, it chose me! I am only here temporarily, just working here for a few months.

What kind of wine do you like?
Literally every kind of wine there is. I am an adventurous drinker and I live for trying anything new. I'll drink the rainbow!

What is drinking wine in Kyrgyzstan like? Is it really a different experience?
It is very different, and it's hard to explain why. I've been to excellent restaurants where a "sommelier" has served red wine cold and white wine at room temperature. I think this about sets the stage. Wine hasn't developed well enough in this country (and this region, generally). Drinking wine is a constantly disappointing endeavor. But I persist!

What does "Wine From the Underground" mean?
It is without a doubt inspired by Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground, where instead of existentialist ramblings about life, this is purely existentialist ramblings about wine (and a little bit of life).

Updated 06/02/2018

Comments